[development] session questions

Dave Cohen drupal at dave-cohen.com
Sat Oct 18 00:26:35 UTC 2008

Moshe and all,

Thanks for the clarification, you're correct that's how it should behave.  The
truth is I was mucking with the session_name() and session_id().  I find that
if I don't muck, then the cookies are consistent even in IE.

However, I have a good reason to muck with these values.  I'm serving pages
both on a regular website, and also in Facebook canvas pages (using iframes).
I don't want the Facebook iframes to share session state with the normal web
pages.

So I call session_name() and session_id() with custom values.  I do this in
settings.php, before drupal calls session_start().  According to the PHP
documentation, when session_start() is called, updated cookies are supposed to
be sent.  On reasonable browsers like Firefox this works as advertised.  On
IE, a cookie is set whose name is session_name(), but its value is not
session_id().  I don't know where it's getting the value from.

Has anyone else encountered this?  Any ideas how to debug it?  I'm looking for
anything here as I really don't know how to diagnose problems with IE.

-Dave

On Friday 17 October 2008 11:47:03 Moshe Weitzman wrote:
> > 3) From IE7, the session_name remains the same across all requests, but
> > the session_id() of the initial page request is different from the ajax
> > callbacks. In other words the session cookie's value changes.  So
> > $_SESSION is not shared.  Is this what I should be seeing?
>
> No. Browser's have a responsibility to always send back cookies to the
> domain+path that sent them. So if your ajax callback is sent back to
> the same domain and path as the session cookie, it has to be sent
> back. check the domain and path of the cookie and ajax callback
> carefully. You can control what path/domain the cookie gets set on
> using settings.php (see the comments there). Note that changing that
> can affect existing user's and their cookies.

[snip]