[development] How to post bug reports and patches

Markus Kalkbrenner markus.kalkbrenner at arcor.de
Thu Oct 30 13:00:26 UTC 2008

Hi,

This is my first post to this list so I will introduce myself first.
My name is Markus Kalkbrenner. I'm developing software for more than 15 years
and participating in open source projects since 7 years.
Two years ago I started working with drupal and posted my first bug reports
and patches.

Currently I'm asking myself which is the right strategy to contribute patches
and get them committed to CVS because most of the time I'm still working with
drupal 5 and find bugs there.

Just some examples:

Posted 4 month ago for drupal 5.7:
http://drupal.org/node/229411 node_view() incompatible to php5

I was asked to add more comments to my patch and drumm found out that the same
bug still exists in drupal 6. So I added the comments but nothing happend.
Neither in D5 nor in D6.

Posted 3 month ago for drupal 5.8
http://drupal.org/node/287063 node_delete memory leak and wrong order of
commands

In a different bug I was told to post the bugs for drupal 6 to get them
handled faster and finally backported to drupal 5. So I switched the version
for this issue to D6 and added an additional patch for it. But no reaction.

Posted 3 month ago for drupal 6.dev
http://drupal.org/node/298768 Ensure that entries are written to watchdog
table
and
http://drupal.org/node/298678 Impossible to lock two MySQL tables

From my point of view these are two serious issues which are the reason for
several other bug reports. I found them in drupal 5 but discovered that they
still exist in D6 and D7. So I decided to post them for D6 because this is
the current stable version. Unfortunately I didn't see any reaction so far.

Please don't get me wrong. I really like drupal and will keep on contributing
patches because I want to improve it.
But maybe I'm doing something wrong or you just have no time to maintain the
stable versions. So for me the current situation is like a "bad user
experience".

Markus