[development] How to post bug reports and patches

Angela Byron drupal-devel at webchick.net
Thu Oct 30 14:14:36 UTC 2008

It's a fair question. When the Drupal community is at some 385,000+
people and there are some 5,500+ issues contending for attention, it can
be difficult for the issues that you think are important to gain visibility.

Some tips that should help, anyway:

* File issues against the latest version of Drupal to have the problem.
For example, if it happens in 6.x and 7.x, file it under 7.x instead;
the latest version is always where most core developers are focusing,
and once they get in to a later release, it's a lot easier to make the
case for it belonging in earlier ones (and easier to commit the patch
too, since it's already been vetted).

* Hang out on IRC in #drupal, and watch for someone asking for a patch
review. Tell them you'd be happy to review their patch if they could
review yours.

* We are always desperately short on patch reviewers. So if you
consistently do awesome patch reviews as often as you can, and you will
get escalated to the very tippy-top of the community karma scale very,
very quickly. There are good tips about this at
http://drupal.org/patch/review.

Hope that helps, I'm about to get on a plane so didn't get a chance to
look at those issues in particular, but these are some general tips.

-Angie