[development] The static $perm variable in user_access

David Metzler metzlerd at metzlerd.com
Fri Oct 31 04:27:44 UTC 2008

It sounds like you're suggesting that $perm, a static variable within
user_access() is being modified without user_access being called, but
within a single page load.   That doesn't seem possible in PHP,
unless there is a PHP bug.  Static variables are supposed to be local
in scope to the functions that create them. To prove beyond a shadow
of doubt, put a $debug statement in at the very beginning of the
function user_access and another at the very end of the function.
(just before the return).  If what you're saying is true, there will
be evidence in the "begin" value being different than the "end" value
prior to it.

What I suspect is that another module is calling user_access,
(perhaps with a different user, or modified roles in between) in
between.  If you serialize the $user and $perm variables within
user_access, you ought to be able to tell.   Myself I'd be greping
for calls in the modules you suspect.

Dave