[development] Module to create and populate CCK nodes from existing database table

Pushyamitra Navare pushyamitra at gmail.com
Sat Sep 6 03:06:26 UTC 2008

On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 8:24 PM, Balazs Dianiska <csillagasz at gmail.com>wrote:

> Well I wrote autonode (drupal.org/project/autonode) a while ago, its a
> bit different, but might be what you eventually need for, or a base to
> start from if you want to code. Its only for D5 though.

Yes, I will use it as starting point when I start coding a module. I can
also try and use/modify it to work with D6 (If you're willing to help,
cool!). How much work is involved? Is there some major difference between D5
and D6 for autonode to work?

What I can probably do is:
 1. Create a new CCK node type ( programatically ) based on table name.
 2. _All_ node fields can be handled by keeping them CCK autonode fields
referring to columns in table. ( Will I need nid, vid columns in existing
table? )

This way, node details can be loaded from existing table; any node edits
will be reflected in existing table. And we will be providing existing table
in editable form as Drupal nodes.

Anyone with spare time willing to help? :-)

- Pushya