[development] Certify Drupal for use in Government (US) Projects

Nancy Wichmann nan_wich at bellsouth.net
Tue Sep 30 18:14:58 UTC 2008

Every government department for which I worked also used Windows – how many
security holes in that have been fixed in just this year, let alone the last
several?  So much for proprietary products being secure

Many of the projects on which I worked also used open source products –
including for a large department that is involved every time you travel by
air.

On that same project, I was responsible for QA – but it was not my only job.
The agency had 18 people on their QA staff (don't ask me why) and every one
of those people felt that they HAD to find something to write up.  After a
half dozen iterations, the company I worked for (a very large services
organization) had to tell their management to stop that nonsense.

The agency's management can get around virtually any policy if they want.
However, I never found an agency that cared about the taxpayer's money –
even though they are also taxpayers.

I would encourage you to visit with NIST.  My guess is that there is a
simple misunderstanding, quite possibly arising from not having to pay for
open source products (they can, however, make a donation if they really want
to spend money).

Nancy E. Wichmann, PMP