[development] Very concerned over Drupal's core development

Stefan Nagtegaal development at standoutdesign.nl
Tue Apr 21 07:31:31 UTC 2009

Op 21 apr 2009, om 08:20 heeft Steven Peck het volgende geschreven:

> <snip></snip>
>
> And Stefan, I too miss the old front page where it wasn't all site
> implementations and Drupalcons but things people found interesting,
> but that's just what happened.
>
> -sepeck

Happy to hear that Sepeck, sometimes I wonder if it is just me who is
experiencing this.
Drupal is not for users anymore, drupal is for making money and
profit. One example is the "Support the Drupal redesign! Donate Now"-
button, which is currently cycling over the frontpage. Why can't we -
as a community - build the new drupal.org design? It gives us a good
reality check why drupal is (too) hard for true designers.

That said, you could wonder that if some module is moved from core to
contrib and dies silently, if it wasn't in core too long already.
If nobody feels the urge to keep a certain module up to date, then you
could argue about its usefullnes.

I would rather see modules like views(1|2|3).module in core, which are
very well designed and maintained and deserves to be in core, because
of it's quality and filling the gap which there currently is in core.
Building views/page-layouts is something drupal needs. Although, I do
not think that the current implementation is right, the functionality
surely is.

Getting rid of modules like the help.module is not that smart imo.
Dries started a monster project to make drupal more accessible and
easier to use by attracting Mark Boulton and Leisa, which I think is a
good thing. Although, I do not doubt that they could make things
easier to use, but I'm pretty convinced they could not make things as
easy that the help texts are becoming redundant.

Kind regards,

Stefan