[development] API versus UX/AX releases?

Chris Johnson cxjohnson at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 17:59:01 UTC 2009

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 11:36 AM, Aaron Winborn<winborn at advomatic.com> wrote:
> great ideas. however, i suspect that no matter how much we try to plan a
> road map, real life will take over and development will continue haphazardly
> in relatively uncontrollable spurts, at least as long as we keep pushing the
> envelope (which i'm all in favor of).

Which is why I suggested the second alternative, of intentionally
longer and shorter release cycles.  Dries generally sets the date for
code freeze, and so he could have some control over the cycle length.
Influencing developers to focus on API vs. UX is indeed a lot more
difficult, and road maps are similarly problematic as Aaron points
out.

But I, at least, find it conceivable that the development community
could be slightly influenced enough to eventually reach a point (in a
year or 2, perhaps) where they would actually be thinking "API
release" and "UX release" while engaged in those haphazard spurts
(alternative 1).  And I only mean on the average across the entire
development community.  The standard deviation is expected to be quite
large, and that's ok.  :-)

I don't intend to tell any developer what to work on.