[development] Request to review Guidelines for writing MySQL and PostgreSQL compliant SQL

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Fri Aug 21 15:21:41 UTC 2009

Thank you for your efforts.

PostgreSQL needs all the help it can get in Drupal, otherwise, judging from
history, it becomes barely supported and little used.

PostgreSQL new stable release is PostgreSQL 8.4, even if Debian flags it
> as unstable. I could upgrade some 500.000 pages sites to PostgreSQL 8.4
> without running into a single problem. SO IMHO let us not stick to an
> old PG version.

This is a show stopper for many people who rely on Debian for production
servers and Ubuntu server LTS. They still have 8.3. Regardless of the fact
that 8.4 is available and stable, the fact that it is not in the repository
makes
it a deal breaker, since it means it has to be installed from source, and
has
to be patched manually. Not something that an admin used to the Debian way
would want to do, given that the whole rationale of Debian is to make sure
that the system as a whole is stable and only updated from the repositories.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.