[development] Guidelines for writing efficient SQL code

Jean-Michel Pouré jm at poure.com
Tue Aug 25 23:07:47 UTC 2009

Dear Friends,

I welcome your comments on this short guide for writing efficient SQL
code in Drupal: http://drupal.org/node/559302

Feel free to start hunting for speed on the two issues mentioned
(logging and LEFT JOINs). I will add several tips in the next days.

The forum code proved to be heavily broken and I could debug it in 4
hours. So it is very likely that the entire Drupal 6.dev is at stake.
Probably Drupal 7 alpha too.

Because Drupal makes little use of LEFT JOINs in the code, it is likely
that it cannot scale well. Hence a reputation to be slow. But it can
change rapidly if you fix the code and apply the tips.

I will be back tomorrow with more tips.
Hunt for speed now!

Kind regards,
Jean-Michel