[development] Guidelines for writing efficient SQL code

Nancy Wichmann nan_wich at bellsouth.net
Wed Aug 26 13:18:13 UTC 2009

I am far from a MySql expert, as I am sure many on this list can attest to. But I have seen one thing that seems to make a big difference on some occasions and possibly somone can illuminate me on why. That is a numeric (say int(11)) index is used with "WHERE abc = 123" seems to be considerably slower than "WHERE abc = '123'", as explained by ANALYZE. Yet, we Drupallers mostly use the non-quoted version.

Nancy E. Wichmann, PMP