[development] Guidelines for writing efficient SQL code

Narayan Newton nnewton at osuosl.org
Wed Aug 26 21:52:09 UTC 2009

Quoted integers are typecast from string back to integers. If they
weren't, the index wouldn't be usable.

If you notice a speed improvement in quoting an integer, either the
benchmark is invalid for some reason (did you test the quoted version
after the regular int version? Was it in the query cache? Was it in
the buffer pool already?) or your in a more complicated situation
where quoting the integer is forcing you not to use the index, and the
index has a very low cardinality. That is very unlikely, so I'd guess
your benchmark is flawed.

--
Narayan Newton
GA Member Drupal Association