[development] combo box

Stefan Borchert stefan at borchert.cc
Wed Dec 2 21:35:16 UTC 2009

Jeff Greenberg schrieb:
> Hi. I have a new site to do, and (so far) there are 3 things I haven't
> done before in Drupal. I'll make each a different message so the thread
> doesn't get confused.
>

> The first one is what  is/used-to-be? called a combo box. That is, a
> select box that also allows one to type in an entry if none of the
> options will do. In terms of the operation of a normal combo, the issue
> is that while I can put a text box above a select, and when submitted,
> take the selected option, if one, or the text box contents, if any,
> normally a combo will take an option selection and deposit that text in
> the text-box portion, in case you want to edit it.

Hello.
You may want to try the module "Node reference create" [1]. It will seem
to be overkill but does exactly fit your requirements.
The dropdown would be an autocomlete textfield with a list of node
titles (of a specific content type you should create for this purpose).
If you enter the title of a node that doesn't exists it will be created
for you.

hth,

  Stefan

[1] http://drupal.org/project/noderefcreate