[development] Insert users from script?

Matt West mjw at our-hometown.com
Wed Dec 2 23:08:44 UTC 2009

Gastón,

You can do this programmatically by creating a separate script that
bootstraps Drupal. Something like:

if (($handle = fopen("file.csv", "r")) !== FALSE) {
     while (($data = fgetcsv($handle)) !== FALSE) {
         // Set vars to the appropriate indexes from the .csv, you'll
need to customize this
         list($user, $pass, $mail) = $data;

         // Create the user array
         $new_user = array(
           'name' => $user,
           'pass' => $pass,
           'mail' => $mail,
           'status' => 1,
           'init' => $mail,
         );

         if(!user_load($new_user)) { // Make sure the user doesn't
already exist
           // If you want to assign a role
           $roles = user_roles();
           $new_user['roles'] = array(array_search('your_roll_name',
$roles) => 1);

           // Save the user
           $new_user = user_save(null, $new_user);
         }