[development] Consolidating duplicate contrib modules for D7

Jerad Bitner sirkitree at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 22:32:56 UTC 2009

I mistook your comment about uselessness, so thanks for clarifying.

Your other comments bring up a good point too, and I wonder if there
is a metric that can be drawn from number of users/installs vs. number
of open issues vs. size of those issues (#comments) vs. ?something
else? - I'm not primarily a statistics whiz by any means, so I'm not
sure what metrics could be drawn up.

Putting actual words to the methods that we as maintainers use to
judge modules and subsequently trying to create a process or metric
based upon those words and methods would help a lot of other people
without the experience maintainers and other people who are good at
evaluating modules have.

This is really the goal here, I was just pulling the available stats
as examples or metric points to at least start somewhere, get the ball
rolling per say.

For example, there are a lot of carousel type modules out there, and
there is a decent comparison that was written up for this purpose.
http://drupal.org/node/418616

So if this type of process could be generalized a little more, even
automated to some extent as mentioned with tags and similarity and a
useful view of the different metrics we use is a worthy goal IMO.

Maybe a place in the module project page for listed features so to use
the data in comparison charts...

--
~Jerad Bitner
CTO ~ Rapid Waters Development