[development] Consolidating duplicate contrib modules for D7

andrew morton drewish at katherinehouse.com
Tue Dec 8 15:22:47 UTC 2009

On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 10:12 PM, Marcel Partap <mpartap at gmx.net> wrote:
> So imho Drupal contrib repository should be freed from only-maintainer-writable-restriction to accessible-for-all-devs. The new way of avoiding bogus code commits is not to prohibit developers (who might be perfectly qualified for the task at hand) from changing certain code, but by giving more clearance to everybody. With more power comes more responsibility of course: covert, disagreed code changes are only prevented by social mechanisms, not repository access rights.

When I first started working on Drupal back in the 4.6 days that's
exactly how CVS worked, but we explicitly changed it so that each
project has a list of approved maintainers. I went back to try to find
the point on the list where this was discussed but didn't have much
time. I just wanted to let you know that this was tried and found
wanting.

andrew