[development] Max size of $language->language property

Scott Reynolds sdrreynolds at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 06:29:31 UTC 2009

So for Activity module we provided multilingual messages not by using t() or
tt() but by simply providing a messages per enabled language and for the
language column we use $language->language which is 'en', 'en-us'. See this
issue: http://drupal.org/node/634006

It appears that is done wrong though, http://drupal.org/node/651174, as this
user claims that $language->language = "zh-hans".

So what is the right way to handle $language in database tables? What part
of the $language object to you use as the field and how large should the
column be? And where does it belong on this handbook:
http://drupal.org/contributors-guide

--
Scott Reynolds