[development] development with scalability in mind

Ashraf Amayreh mistknight at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 17:37:35 UTC 2009

Hello All,

Following the thread on the CDN, and knowing that soon I'll be working on a
site with nearly 7 million users per month and a database nearly 20 GBs in
size. I'd like to ask the gurus out there for technologies/modules within
Drupal or in the LAMP architecture aimed at huge load sites, I want to try
to avoid the problem of "early implementation" which may make some of these
technologies unfeasible or hard to implement in the future if not thought
out before.

I know about memcache (which I haven't tried yet) and CDN. I know about load
balancing (in theory as I haven't needed it yet), and I know that you can
also make your server more powerful with more hardware. I personally have
tuned servers to squeeze every last bit of performance, but that falls short
of what happens when you reach a certain level when squeezing a server just
doesn't cut it. What else can you pitch in? Comments? Recommendation?
Thoughts?

Regards,
AA