[development] development with scalability in mind

Kieran Lal kieran at acquia.com
Thu Dec 17 15:31:30 UTC 2009

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 3:31 AM, sivaji j.g <sivaji2009 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 11:07 PM, Ashraf Amayreh <mistknight at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hello All,
>>
>> Following the thread on the CDN, and knowing that soon I'll be working on
>> a site with nearly 7 million users per month and a database nearly 20 GBs in
>> size. I'd like to ask the gurus out there for technologies/modules within
>> Drupal or in the LAMP architecture aimed at huge load sites, I want to try
>> to avoid the problem of "early implementation" which may make some of these
>> technologies unfeasible or hard to implement in the future if not thought
>> out before.
>>

> I would suggest you to have a look at pantheon project [1]. Pantheon is an
> open source project to make drupal more scalable.  It uses pressflow
> distribution with Varnish, Apache, APC and Solr on cloud. You can either get
> a mercury AMI instance or create a similar environment in your server [2].
>

> [1] http://getpantheon.com/
> [2] http://groups.drupal.org/pantheon/mercurywiki
> http://groups.drupal.org/pantheon
> https://launchpad.net/projectmercury

Hi, the Pantheon stuff is awesome.  But putting a site with 7M unique
visitors, probably 75-100 Million page views per month, on a single virtual
web server, even an X-Large, is both very risky and limited if the site
get's even bigger.

A more appropriate approach for a site of that size is to build a cluster of
servers in a high availability configuration which provides more flexibility
to use various web scaling technologies.  You'll see that's an approach
taken with even moderately sized Drupal sites.  I'll be covering all of this
in quite a bit of detail in my presentation in 2.5 hours.

Cheers,
Kieran