[development] Limited hierarchy generations in Book module

Earnie Boyd earnie at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Feb 9 14:39:45 UTC 2009

Quoting Athanasios Velios <a.velios at gmail.com>:

> Hello,
>
> I am a little confused with the limitation of 9 generations in the
> hierarchies of book structure in D6. Such limitation did not exist in D5
> and relevant discussions have taken place here:
>
> http://drupal.org/node/274270
> http://drupal.org/node/236866
>
> Personally I think it is not reasonable to assume that every drupal
> website will require less than 10 generations in a hierarchical
> structure and I would like to know what your opinions on this are.
>
> As far as I can see, there are two arguments for limiting the number of
> generations:
>
> 1) Hierarchies without limits can be built with the Taxonomy module.
> 2) Speed when building the menu.

For outlining I like to use the node relativity module [1].  It allows
you to bind other nodes or create new nodes as children of a parent
node.  The UI of the node display provides a menu of the children and
parents.  A node can be a child of more than one parent.

[1] http://drupal.org/project/relativity

--
Earnie  http://r-feed.com
  Make a Drupal difference and review core patches.

-- http://for-my-kids.com/  -- http://give-me-an-offer.com/