[development] Flex API, XML API modules are they needed?

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Mon Feb 9 22:00:54 UTC 2009

On Mon, 9 Feb 2009 12:16:12 -0500, Andrew Berry <andrewberry at sentex.net> wrote:
> On 9-Feb-09, at 12:40 AM, David Metzler wrote:
>
>> XML-enabled DB Binding:  Write sql binding syntax that looks like
>> SELECT * from table where name={xpathtofield}.  The XPATH entry can
>> also be an index to a field array.  I find this more intuitive than
>> the %1, %2 ,etc syntax that's used in drupal, cause you can
>> reference the same bind variable more than once in an SQL statement.
>
> I believe this is solved in DB:TNG, now in Drupal 7. Calls to
> db_query() now have array keys, which can be used instead of the
> traditional ordered placeholders.
>
> http://api.drupal.org/api/function/db_query/7
>
> --Andrew

That's a different question, I think.  DBTNG uses arrays and named placeholders.  It sounds like David is talking about XPath based queries, which are another animal entirely and not DB portable.  David, can you elaborate here?

DBTNG does not allow the reuse of placeholders within the same query, because PDO doesn't either.

--Larry Garfield