[development] RFC: Module checksum module

Arancaytar Ilyaran arancaytar.ilyaran at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 15:28:30 UTC 2009

Olivier Jacquet wrote:

> When developing with Drupal you often use contrib modules. When using
> contrib modules it happens that you find a bug or need it to behave
> differently than what was intended. So you modify the module.
>
> Now you have to have a method for knowing that this module is no longer
> the stock contrib module. I've seen different shops hande this in
> different ways but never really in a robust way.

Your mileage may vary, but I've found that checking code out from CVS helps a
lot when tracking local modifications. I deploy all my sites this way. If you
don't want to use the dev branch, you can check out a sticky release tag, too -
you won't get updates via "cvs update" that way, but you'll still be able to see
all your local modifications.

That doesn't mean yours is not a good idea, of course. :)

--
Arancaytar
XMPP:  arancaytar.ilyaran at gmail.com
AOL:   282026638 / RealArancaytar