[development] Body and teaser as fields

Andrew Berry andrewberry at sentex.net
Wed Feb 11 17:01:59 UTC 2009

On 11-Feb-09, at 2:11 AM, Larry Garfield wrote:

> I also use teasers almost never.  They're slow, difficult to
> configure, and the
> teaser splitter dojobby ranks as one of our dumbest "usability
> improvements"
> ever IMO

I'm surprised that there are many here who aren't using teasers. I
think it's much more likely for users to use teasers and not
developers, because they wouldn't encounter the benefits of replacing
the teaser with a CCK field. The main problem I encounter with teasers
is the name. "Summary" or "Introduction" is how I explain it to my
users, and when they understand that, they're quite happy to use it in
its intended manner. JS-splitter and all!

> On auto-creating both a body and a teaser field -- is there a way to
> skip creating a second field for all the sites where the teaser is
> just a subset of the body?

It'd have to catch the case where the teaser is a subset, but the
default position of <!--break--> has moved as well. I'd support only
creating a teaser field on site upgrades, and having just a body field
on new installs.

--Andrew