[development] New project vocabularies

Andrew Berry andrewberry at sentex.net
Sat Feb 14 03:36:22 UTC 2009

On 13-Feb-09, at 10:52 AM, Derek Wright wrote:

> I added "- Any -" to the mix, too.  Even if it's not required,
> that's probably a reasonable option to have.

I would suggest removing "None" now that "Any" is available. To me
"None" means "this code isn't usable anywhere, avoid it!".

I'm sure this was talked about in the redesign somewhere, but I think
moving that field out into a user-vote kind of field would be much
more useful. As a module maintainer, *I* have no idea what users are
using my code on except in cases where they report a bug and mention
the site. I think it's fair to assume that most maintainers know their
own (often off-the-wall) use cases, but not too much beyond that.

Imagine if when a logged in user downloaded a module upgrade (since we
could track their previous downloads if they were logged in), an
option appeared asking them to fill in where they use the module. They
could optionally put in a URL, along with an industry / segment /
something. Or, it could just appear all the time near the "module
rating" section in the iteration 11 mockup.

This could even help long term usability of modules since maintainers
might actually get some basic data about the profiles of their users.
It could be a real boon to know that "most of my users are in
education, so use terms which they're familiar with and don't have
conflicting definitions".

--Andrew