[development] SQL coding standards (Re: Is "SELECT * FROM ..." ok?

augustin (beginner) drupal.beginner at wechange.org
Sun Feb 15 08:51:25 UTC 2009

Thanks everybody for your comments.
I'm glad I asked!

It seems that there is a small consensus to at least discourage its use where
it's not actually necessary.
Given the response so far, there is ground for further discussion on this
topic.

Thus, I have created a new sub-page to the SQL coding standard here:
http://drupal.org/node/374660
Obviously, it needs to be completed.

Also, I have counted the number of occurrences of SELECT * or SELECT x.* in
Drupal 7 (HEAD), and I found almost 150 of them!
So, this is the issue to refine the SQL coding standard by discussing actual
code examples found in Drupal core:
http://drupal.org/node/374661

Blessings,

Augustin.