[development] Per-Field format permissions - new addon module

Arancaytar Ilyaran arancaytar.ilyaran at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 17:55:55 UTC 2009

The ability to assign input formats to specific fields instead of allowing or
forbidding them globally is a feature that I've long missed (and not justme).
See, for example, this issue for CCK: http://drupal.org/node/81981

Rather than continuing to try to get this feature into core for node bodies and
comments, or into CCK for text fields, I realized it would be far easier to
provide it via an addon.

The module would just need to add some extra settings to the node type form, the
CCK text field widgets, and elsewhere; it would then have to override the
filter_form()-generated format selector with its own. The most simple and
flexible way would be to allow admins to override normal format permissions with
"allow" and "deny", or leaving permissions as they are.

So this is what I came up with in an afternoon of experimenting (only node
bodies so far, no CCK or comments):

http://svn.ermarian.net/drupal/modules/fieldformat/trunk/

Screenshot:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/8QHlLIsscAGo4FFW8CeBkA?authkey=FNEPe1yFIVI&feat=directlink

Before I clean it up for d.o contrib, I'd like some feedback: Is this needed,
has it been done, does it hit the spot or require some additional functionality?

Cheers,
-Aran

--
Arancaytar