[development] Per-Field format permissions - new addon module

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Mon Jan 5 18:23:44 UTC 2009

There's already a half-dozen modules to improve the format handling, and more appearing every day.  At this point I am of the mind that any effort to improve the situation in contrib is wasted effort; core's input format handling MUST improve.  Gabor has already been spearheading some work on that, but much much more is still needed.

For node bodies, there's the filterbynodetype module[1] that I wrote a while back.  There's a patch to add support for comments[2] sitting in the queue that I want to commit if it would actually get a review and RTBC. :-)

There was an issue[3] to add support for CCK text fields as well[1].  I bounced that over to the CCK queue, as filterbynodetype has to work through totally insane form_alter nonsense.  I would much rather see CCK handle that itself.  For that, talk to KarenS and yched.

Bottom line, absolutely agreed that it's needed, absolutely not agreed that we need yet another contrib module to try and do it.  There are too many of them already.  Please please please focus on making this system stop sucking in core instead. :-)

[1] http://drupal.org/project/filterbynodetype
[2] http://drupal.org/node/154760
[3] http://drupal.org/node/152592

--Larry Garfield