[development] Split module into two?

andrew morton drewish at katherinehouse.com
Thu Jan 15 08:08:03 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 6:57 PM, Dmitri Gaskin <dmitrig01 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Why not separate storylink and make it use updown instead of vote_up_down,
> and deprecate vote_up_down in favor of updown, and of course provide an
> upgrade path?
> I'd be able to help with this later this month or next month (or at least
> the upgrade path)

If anything I'd say the other way would be better. Not to start a
flame war over modules but vote_up_down seemed much more useful when I
was evaluating voting modules last month.

I'd say split storylink out into it's own project if it turns out it's
useful outside of the module that spawned it. I just did that with the
audio module's audio_itunes sub-module. It's now the iTunes module
(http://drupal.org/project/itunes) and will hopefully prevent other
media modules from having to re-implement iTunes feed support.

andrew