[development] converting a module from Drupal 5 to Drupal 6

Sheryl (Permutations Software) sheryl at permutations.com
Wed Jan 21 16:27:43 UTC 2009

Stewart Robinson wrote:

> Op means different things in different places, or at least its values do.
> What function does your copied code come from and do you know the value of
op?

It's related to the admin form. In phpfreechat.module there is this
function:

function phpfreechat_settings() {
  return system_settings_form(_phpfreechat_settings());
}

The mystery code is in the function _phpfreechat_settings()in
phpfreechat.inc. It's the first three statements.

I can't figure out what $form_values['op'] refers to, or what it means if
the value is not empty, and I can't figure out how to rewrite
form_set_error('op', 'error message') in case of error - I don't see what
the error conditions tested have to do with buttons or any other control in
the admin form.

I have spent hours digging through Drupal docs trying to figure this out -
docs for the Drupal 5 API, docs for the changes between Drupal 5 and Drupal
6. I'm not asking for links to these articles. I have them. I'm asking for
someone to please give me a substantive answer to these two small questions:

(1) What does $form_values['op'] refer to, and what does it mean if the
value is not empty. (And how does Drupal 6 code this.)

(2) How do I rewrite form_set_error('op', 'error message') for Drupal 6 when
it's being set in response to a condition that has nothing at all to do with
controls in the form?

Thanks.

	- Sheryl