[development] Convince Client to Release Code

David Metzler metzlerd at metzlerd.com
Mon Jul 13 13:42:29 UTC 2009

Although the links provided touch on this.  The  most successful
argument I have used is that the client may be able to defer and/or
share the maintence costs of the module.  The first time that they
don't have to pay a developer to upgrade the  module to the next
major rev of drupal (because someone else has contributed the port),
this can be a powerful argument. Of course as others have already
mentioned, it should be pointed out that they are taking advantage of
other consultants paid development by using drupal, and that it is
fairly common practice for code that is paid for by other
organizations to be released back into the drupal community.

There are many success stories to be told, where an important feature
to a contributed module was developed (and therefor paid for) wholly
by another person.  Depending on the complexity and reusability of
the module, they may FULLY recoup the cost of development in
maintenance cost savings. I often describe open source software as
bartered software developement, where you lose the overhead
associated with contract management. ;)

Given all that, continue to point all this out, every time you get an
opportunity.  Sometimes it takes a while to sell, and the proprietary
module could be released into the community at any time.  No rush.

I'm still selling it at my shop, not cause the people don't get it,
but because its an easy thing to take for granted. It's the bills you
pay that get your attention, not the ones you manage to avoid.

Good luck, and keep trying....

Dave