[development] Why is the Drupal File System relative to website root and not relative to admin/settings/file-system path?

Ashraf Amayreh mistknight at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 13:57:37 UTC 2009

I don't really understand why the files are not just stored relative to the
files folder rather than the site root.

That way, changing the location of the files folder would only entail
changing the file path inside the administration.

When retrieving file paths the function doing that could simply call
file_directory_path() and append the filepath from the database. Isn't this
how it should standardly be dealt with, or did I miss something?

AA

--
Ashraf Amayreh
http://aamayreh.org