[development] Why is the Drupal File System relative to website root and not relative to admin/settings/file-system path?

Jamie Holly hovercrafter at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 16 14:19:02 UTC 2009

There's also benefits to it being absolute. If my /files folder is
becoming bloated and I decide I want to start a fresh files directory
all I have to do is change the file path inside admin. All my old file
paths will still be intact. Making it relative would then break the
archived /files path.

If moving the file system were actually that common of an occurrence
then I could see this being a big problem. But to do things like moving
from a development/staging area to a production area a simple query does
the trick:

UPDATE files SET filepath=REPLACE(filepath,
'/sites/www.oldserver.com/file', '/sites/www.newserver.com/file');

User pictures:

UPDATE users SET picture=REPLACE(picture,
'/sites/www.oldserver.com/file', '/sites/www.newserver.com/file');

This has never been a problem for me when it comes to having to move a
file system.

Jamie Holly
http://www.intoxination.net
http://www.hollyit.net