[development] rfc compliant

Brian Vuyk brian at brianvuyk.com
Mon Jul 20 06:36:06 UTC 2009

I cannot comment on the domain name fields, but the email addresses are
an issue I am involved in.

In it's current state, D7 only supports 64-character email addresses, as
in D5 and D6. However, there is an issue for this, and I intend to
submit a patch to adjust the email field to varchar(254) for the
following reasons:

1. D7's minimum requirement for MySQL is version 5.0. Varchar's larger
than 255 are not supported until version 5.0.3
2. The errata for RFC 3696 specify that the maximum useful length of an
email address is 256 character including the angled brackets. Since the
brackets are not stored in the DB, the maximum length should be 254
characters.

You can follow up the discussion, with references to the appropriate
RFC's here: http://drupal.org/node/470306.

Brian Vuyk
Web Design & Development
T: 613-534-2916