[development] Vim for Drupal request

Sam Tresler sam at treslerdesigns.com
Fri Jul 31 21:58:06 UTC 2009

You know... it said that at the top of the api.drupal.org page, but I
guess it didn't occur to me to actually look...   Thanks.

Works like a charm.  I'd really rather skip the first incarnation I had,
and just have the hooks loaded.  I'll update the vim docs here shortly,
but for the record.

$ cvs -z6
-d:pserver:anonymous:anonymous at cvs.drupal.org:/cvs/drupal-contrib co -r
DRUPAL-6--1 -d drupal6 contributions/docs/developer/hooks
$ ctags -R -o drupal6.tags hooks
$ mv drupal.tags ~/.vim

(make the .vim directory if you need to)

Then add this to ~/.vimrc

if has("autocmd")
    " Drupal *.module and *.install files.
    augroup module
      autocmd BufRead,BufNewFile *.module set filetype=php
      autocmd BufRead,BufNewFile *.install set filetype=php
      set tags=.vim/drupal6.tags
    augroup END
endif

And you have code-hinting for drupal core in vim.  Just remember to
update it as you change versions. But it sounds like in Drupal 7 this
can scrape directly from .api.php files; I haven't even looked at those
yet.

Now what was I doing before this diversion....

-S