[development] How to port modules? was: Drupal 7 "When it's Ready"

Paolo Mainardi paolomainardi at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 13:30:53 UTC 2009

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 2:04 PM, Nathaniel Catchpole
<catch56 at googlemail.com>wrote:

>>> Dries, also, said that releasing drupal 6 without drupal.org being
>>> updated to it was a mistake he doesn't want to see happen again.
>>

>> Why it's happen ? Because big missing, "Views, OG, Panels etc...etc...",
>> because backward compatibility API doesn't exists.
>>

> Views 2 (in Drupal 6) isn't compatable with Views 1 (in 5.x). A 'backwards
> compatability API' would have had zero effect, possibly a negative effect on
> the Views upgrade process.

My point is different, a backward compatibility API could run Views 1.x on D
> 5, this was the point.

> I really wish people would familarise themselves with the issues at hand
> before mouthing off on this list about "we need to do this [useless thing
> which would have zero effect]". Even a tiny bit of research would show what
> the issues are, and it's not API changes in core - it's manpower helping out
> the commonly used modules to get upgraded.

Yes, it's not only "mouthing off", i'm developing with Drupal all days, i'm
trying to be propositional with full respect for your work.

> If you want to see contrib modules ready when Drupal 7 is, you can start
> now by providing and/or testing patches for your favourite modules to get
> them upgraded. There are also modules with development versions or even beta
> releases for Drupal 7 listed here -
> http://drupal.org/project/modules?filters=drupal_core:103&solrsort=title_sort%20asc- again I'm sure their maintainers wouldn't turn down patches when there's
> API changes in HEAD.
>
> Nat

You confirm my theory, no pathces because API changes, i don't like at all,
but it's the Druapl development cycle and if it's the the price to pay for a
such great project. ;)

--
Paolo Mainardi

Vice Presidente Assoc.ILDN (http://www.ildn.net)