[development] How to port modules? was: Drupal 7 "When it's Ready"

Michael Favia michael at favias.org
Fri Mar 6 16:42:02 UTC 2009

Paolo Mainardi wrote:
> Yeah, really nice, please relax Gerard.
Sorry for the curtness, but this isn't exactly the first time this
argument has come up in the last 5 years and some people get tired of
beating it to death. We have maintained a steady position that our
willingness to break API on major version releases allows for more
innovative work and less complex development of new features. It
constitutes is one of our competitive advantages over other CMS
solutions and allows us to focus our development efforts forward not
backward. We fully understand the costs of following such a model and
understand if it isnt something youre interested in, but nobody pulled
the rug out from under you here. This is how its been and how it will
be. It is a big reason that a lot of us are on this project instead of
others whether we know it or not. We understand that this may scare off
some enterprise customers seeking stability. We dont have stability yet
and might not for along time. Your efforts and the efforts of everyone
postulating the best way to release D7 would be best applied like they
usually are in assistance upgrading the modules you care about :). Good
luck. -mf