[development] Wasting time and effort

Andrew Berry andrewberry at sentex.net
Mon Mar 9 21:38:17 UTC 2009

On 9-Mar-09, at 2:15 PM, Daniel F. Kudwien wrote:

> Would it really hurt the process of evolution and innovation in
> Drupal when
> a new project ("request") would go into a "new projects queue"
> first, where
> all community members could do a quick review and optionally point
> to a
> possible existing project that could benefit from additional man-
> power,
> features, and stuff?

I think this is a good idea. I was having this conversation with some
at DC; we all noted that for our very first contribution, we did a
great deal of thinking, planning, and so on, but for subsequent
modules they tend to go in without as much attention. I'm sure I'm not
the only one who's written code only to discover after that someone
else did it under a different name. No one I think really likes
duplication without reason.

Long term, I think the solution is for search on d.o to continue to
improve so that it is easy to tell within a few searches if another
module exists. Until then, a "does this exist" queue or mailing list
could serve quite nicely.

--Andrew