[development] Wasting time and effort

Matt Chapman Matt at NinjitsuWeb.com
Tue Mar 10 01:52:24 UTC 2009

andrew morton wrote:
> Daniel's proposal to moderate the creation of project nodes is really
> the only suggestion that I've found compelling in this thread. Having
> a checkpoint that requires a maintainer to list other similar modules
> and explain how their module is different from other existing ones
> would be very helpful.

As has already been pointed out, we already require an application for
CVS access. The picture is being painted like anyone off the street can
just start committing to the repo, and that's just not the case.

Even this level of moderation has it's drawbacks, and here's my true
story to prove it:

My very first Drupal module was a simple integration with a third party
service. I applied for my CVS account, and in the meantime, someone else
who already had a CVS account coded and published a practically
identical module. Wasted time and effort on their part, because they
didn't know about my module because I didn't have permission to publish
it yet.

To be clear: I'm not arguing against reviewing CVS applicants; this
situation almost certainly would only occur with modules as trivial as
the one under discussion. I'm just making the point that even the little
filtration we have now can be counter-productive. We certainly shouldn't
be adding further restrictions.

Best,

Matt