[development] Wasting time and effort

Greg Holsclaw greg at t2media.com
Tue Mar 10 02:14:22 UTC 2009

>On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 9:52 PM, Matt Chapman <Matt at ninjitsuweb.com> wrote:
>> As has already been pointed out, we already require an application for
CVS
>> access. The picture is being painted like anyone off the street can just
>> start committing to the repo, and that's just not the case.

>I think that's really the problem in a lot of cases. New devs get
>screened but existing ones don't bother. I know in my case I've often
>done a cursory search but since I know what code I'd need to write, I
>just jump right in.

Which prove the findability angle exacty!

Many justifications for this filter is to decrease wasted effort (increase
collaboration), but if a review board upon release of your new module
discovers a prior module, you have already wasted your time (and that of the
review board). The only real gain is less module congestion (which is
partially solve every major version of Drupal through module die-off), but
not removal of wasted energy.

Being able to find modules ASAP solves both issues, and thus with limited
resources seems the better place for our energies.

-Greg