[development] An alternative to common thinking in 5-> 6migration

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Wed Mar 11 23:55:00 UTC 2009

On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 22:03:34 +0100
Marcel Partap <mpartap at gmx.net> wrote:

> > To Marcel:
> > The stifle innovation argument is valid although you've called it
> > invalid several times.
> > You have proposed that 10 (not high profile) developer reviews
> > would be required in order to commit code.  Assuming you mean
> > what you say and the overloaded developers (high profile) don't
> > have an increased workload, then that means i need 10 reviews to
> > get my code committed.
> No that was not exactly what i proposed. The proposal (!) was to
> have a patch get autocommitted (if style checks run fine and no
> tests break) by a bot after receiving 10 RTBC vote 'points' and no
> veto status. The fact that needs to be taken into account here is
> the level of coding skills and experience of the reviewing person,
> f.e. by giving people like merlinofchaos chx dries karens etc.
> (i.e. who have proven to be capable working even on especially
> complex code) a voting weight of 10 (or 9 maybe.. or whatever) to
> allow for quicker commital. That'd of course be an arbitrary
> decision - i'm sure though we could come up with something that
> worked.

I prefer push approach for this kind of stuff rather than pull.
In fact I proposed a feed for just getting changes to docs, api
etc...
I sincerely don't feel comfort with the drupal project
infrastructure. It may be my ignorance or maybe "eat your own dog
food" works to some extent but is not a commandment.
Anyway I think you could obtain a similar effect subscribing to the
feeds of issue queues.

Still I don't feel the review score system is going to work for
contrib.

> I like mailing lists. Wine-patches is just great for watching code
> that passes by. It'd be really useful as a tool by itself imho,
> although those other options already exist. You have to agree
> there is a slight but notable difference in actively
> subscribing/seeking something or passively get pushed the new code
> to your inbox.

That's different from imposing review scores on contrib.

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it