[development] An alternative to common thinking in 5-> 6migration

Sam Boyer drupal at samboyer.org
Fri Mar 13 08:01:37 UTC 2009

On Friday 13 March 2009 00:12:49 Marcel Partap wrote:
> marcel, tired of a debate not representing his proposal.

While I agree with most of the sentiments expressed by Kyle, catch, sun,
Khalid, Earnie, Anton, Crell, Ivan, Andrew, Earl, and Laura, out of everything
you've written, I find this part most unsettling. It suggests a deep ignorance
of how communities like ours work. The community has heard you; whether or not
we heard what you intended us to is _no longer in your realm of control_.
Debate may get your point across in school or small groups, but that's not how
communities work. Ideas take off only when  community members get to own and
interpret the ideas on their own terms, with respect to their own experience;
badgering people for doing so is exactly the wrong approach. Personally, I find
your apparent ignorance of this basic community dynamic to be sufficient
evidence for not trusting you as a community captain.

Keep in mind that this is coming from a guy who's spent the better part of a
year planning, proposing, and advocating group decisionmaking systems for
drupal.

So, let me second Larry:

Please, stop.