[development] Loading configuration using 'SERVER_NAME' as opposed to 'HTTP_HOST'

Earnie Boyd earnie at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Mar 16 11:44:12 UTC 2009

Quoting Adam Cooper <adam.j.cooper at gmail.com>:

This is more a support question and should be on the support list but
see below.

> The problem now is that I have come across one of my multisite
> configurations. I figured I could just set the virtual host
> configuration to have ServerName as my site name (sitename) and then
> ServerAlias in the name I would be accessing it as (sitename.dev).
> Setting UseCanonicalName to 'on' would let me access the site as I
> would expect.
>
> Except, despite this setting SERVER_NAME to the value I expect
> (sitename) my drupal configuration refuses to load. I took a look in
> the bootstrap file and found that the configuration directory is
> loaded from HTTP_HOST.

Usually I find the issue with this stems from the fact that the strings
for the site directory in sites/ cannot be constructed from the
HTTP_HOST string.  I usually resolve this issue with symlinks to match
what is expected.  For instance www.sample.com vs sample.com and I
created a www.sample.com directory under sites.

> TL;DR.
>
> So my question is this, why does drupal load it's configuration using
>  HTTP_HOST as opposed to SERVER_NAME? Surely SERVER_NAME would allow
> more flexibility and more direct control? Would a patch changing this
>  have any chance of being looked at?

My question back to you is why isn't HTTP_HOST properly setup?

--
Earnie  http://r-feed.com
  Make a Drupal difference and review core patches.

-- http://for-my-kids.com/  -- http://www.4offer.biz/