[development] Database / SQL future thoughts

Greg Knaddison Greg at GrowingVentureSolutions.com
Tue May 5 14:18:14 UTC 2009

This is some interesting feedback.  I'd love to hear more of your
thoughts so I can understand it better.

On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 7:51 AM, Bertrand Mansion <drupal at mamasam.net> wrote:
> Drupal doesn't really need a relational DB and actually doesn't use
> the relational features properly (for example, the way tags are stored
> is not efficient). That's one of the reasons why it is slow and
> doesn't scale very well.

These are some pretty sweeping claims.  Can you expand on them?

1. Tags are stored inefficiently (I can't think of a way to store them
that is better for every use)
2. Drupal doesn't scale very well (I've seen enough claims otherwise -
is there a particular problem you can point to?)

> But going for another storage system would be better if implemented as
> a fork, IMO.

Various people just rewrote the entire DB API, so it is possible to
make massive API changes within a release cycle.  Why do you feel a
fork is necessary?

Thanks,
Greg

--