[development] Database / SQL future thoughts

Jeff Eaton jeff at viapositiva.net
Tue May 5 19:30:56 UTC 2009

On May 5, 2009, at 1:54 PM, Bertrand Mansion wrote:

> Well, I think I know everything there is to know about Drupal. I have
> been developing modules for it for 4 years now and deployed a dozen of
> websites for customers, some quite large... I think it is a good
> opportunity now, with the emergence of these new databases, to think
> about what we have been doing for years, and how.
>
> Instead of being arrogant and underestimating others, you should start
> by asking yourself if there really isn't any other way to better
> manage tags (and cache, and sessions, and hierarchies, and callbacks,
> and file storage, etc).

You're quite right, Bertrand, and I apologize for the snarkiness of my
comment. Since that article you pointed to described Drupal's tagging
system *without* suggesting it was a fundamentally flawed approach, I
assumed you were not familiar with the Taxonomy system's internals.
This is not a matter of arrogance but of misinterpreting your
statement. As I'm sure you know from being on the devel list, there is
an unending stream of "Drupal Should Do X Like Y, And Here's A Blog
Post To Prove It" comments that are not necessarily rooted in
familiarity with the way the system already works.

Greg's statement, though, stands: Taxonomy as it presently stands is a
generalized metadata system, and the optimizations discussed in the
first two parts of the article you linked to are not possible without
building an entirely different set of specialized systems. The third
model, explained in the article that you linked to, is what Drupal
uses currently.

A number of other developers have suggested that other approaches
might be good -- rather than tying ourselves to a relational model, we
should consider treating nodes as cached objects, for example. Doing
so would probably yield some great improvements for the specific use
cases we optimize the storage mechanism for. I could be wrong, but at
present the use of a traditional SQL backend is still our best bet for
a generalized system that allows users to design their schemas and
their views in an ad-hoc fashion without writing code.

Is there any way that something other than SQL could leverage multiple
loosely connected systems like CCK, Taxonomy, and Views without
crippling performance in other areas? That's not a rhetorical
question; I'm curious and would like to know if I'm overlooking some
fundamental issues.

--Jeff Eaton