[development] Database / SQL future thoughts

Mikkel Høgh m at ooh.dk
Tue May 5 22:29:37 UTC 2009

On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 12:02 AM, Chris Johnson <cxjohnson at gmail.com> wrote:
> CouchDB is a RESTful web service package, which has a storage engine
> that uses MVCC (Postgres, Oracle, InnoDB), and b-tree indexes (used by
> most RDBMSs), with sequence ids (supported by most RDBMSs).  So,
> really comparing CouchDB to MySQL or Postgres is to compare apples and
> baked tarts made with apples.

I'd say that's an awesome analogy. If you're not looking for baked
goods, but perhaps apple sauce, raw apples might be preferable…

On the other hand, if you intent to consume it with whipped cream
anyhow, why not just grab the finished tart while you're at it…

> And Tokyo Cabinets -- hmmm.  Serialized data versus structured data
> and database wide unique keys.  DBM primitives?  Again, it remains to
> be seen whether it's faster than an SQL engine when combined with
> something like Tokyo Tyrant to provide the needed concurrency
> capabilities.

Yeah, unless someone is going to actually try to come up with some
real numbers for what it would mean for our use case, this is debate
probably going to be a precious waste of bytes ;)