[development] Database / SQL future thoughts

Chris Johnson cxjohnson at gmail.com
Wed May 6 15:48:39 UTC 2009

On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 10:40 PM, Jeff Eaton <jeff at viapositiva.net> wrote:
> On May 5, 2009, at 9:55 PM, Larry Garfield wrote:
>
>> So we just need to make more key parts of Drupal pluggable and those who
>> actually care about such differences can leverage them as appropriate, and
>> those who don't need to care won't have to.
>
> This principle is probably important enough to be enshrined as one of
> Drupal's core values.
>
> --Jeff

Excellent point, Jeff.

If we provide pluggable subsystems and good APIs, then people can use
the "right tool" for the job.

I'd like to learn more about how CouchDB and Tokyo Cabinets can be
scaled horizontally more easily than SQL.  As many of us know, it's
not easy with engines like MySQL and Postgres.  Surely other
technologies would face similar hurdles to ensuring coherency and
reliability of the data, and hence would likewise have technical
challenges in scaling -- wouldn't they?  Thanks for directing
attention to this presumed advantage, Kyle.

David Metzler -- everyone is welcome to join the conversation, of
course -- else why post to a list with thousands of subscribers?
Thanks for your input.

..chris