[development] Issue queue links from project pages?

Domenic Santangelo domenic at workhabit.com
Thu May 7 21:37:30 UTC 2009

On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 2:11 PM, andrew morton
<drewish at katherinehouse.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 1:01 PM, Michael Favia <michael at favias.org> wrote:
>> Derek Wright wrote:
>>>
>>> However, the point of the maintainers block isn't necessarily to provide
>>> links people click on, but text people read.  And data about how many
>>> maintainers, who they are, and how active they are is important information
>>> for assessing the health of a project.
>>
>> Project statistics are useful  to us but most users dont care about them.
>
> Are you basing that statement on anything or is that just your speculation?

I'm not sure they're useful as presented. They're interesting for
sure, but not informative as-is.

Examples:
http://drupal.org/project/paging - last commit from Gurpartap: 2 weeks
ago. Next maintainer (Darren): 48 weeks ago. Last D5 recommended
release was in January.
http://drupal.org/project/panels - last commit (now) by merlin, next
by Sun: 11 weeks ago. Last D5 recommended release was Aug 2008.

Two heavily used and (I think) maintained modules, but the "at a
glance" stats paint a different picture. If I knew less about these
projects or the Drupal community as a whole, I do not think I would
conclude that these are healthy projects. YMMV.

As to the issue queue re-placement, the fact that someone asked on the
dev list, and the first reply didn't notice it either should be a hint
as to the UX issues caused by putting that block there. Perhaps it is
a "zomg they moved my taskbar to the top of the screen and i cant find
the start button anymore lol!" kind of thing, but I'm having a tough
time reconciling those RHS blocks as related to the full page post in
my head.

My $0.02.

--
Domenic Santangelo
senior engineer  |  workhabit,inc.

// email: domenic at workhabit.com  |  web: http://www.workhabit.com
// office: 866-workhabit  |  direct: 916-288-8243

The information contained in this electronic mail message is
confidential and intended for the sole use of the intended
recipient(s) and may be privileged. The information herein may also be
protected by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 UCS
Sections 2510-2521. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
distribution is prohibited. If you have received this communication in
error, please immediately notify us by telephone (866-967-5422) and by