[development] 3rd party sites/all/plugins

Daniel F. Kudwien news at unleashedmind.com
Wed May 13 15:56:18 UTC 2009

> I'm in favor going forward of using sites/all/plugins for
> third party plugins. First, it's a centralized location, and
> the convention is being adopted throughout contrib, and even
> core (http://drupal.org/node/315100). Secondly, as you note,
> it discourages the practice of directly modifying a module
> directory structure.
> Thirdly, it allows for drupal_get_path('plugins', 'foo'), if
> a foo.info file exists (i.e., /sites/all/plugins/foo/foo.info).
>
> Aaron

I specifically did not point to that core issue, because the way "plugins"
are discussed there is something completely different.  Modules don't ship
with external libraries and external libraries do not ship with .info files.
Period.  The entire proposed design for "plugins" does not apply.

Luckily, sime already followed up on the other issue and added valuable
thoughts about requirements of SWF Tools and potential other use-cases.

sun