[development] need a standard for contrib node build_mode constants

Jeff Eaton jeff at viapositiva.net
Tue May 19 16:52:24 UTC 2009

The problem is not one of information storage length, but of flag
collision.

Ints are fine as primary keys on a lookup table, or constant values
for internal flags that will never be extensible. For things we know
people will build on -- like node types, or node build modes --
strings are the only way to avoid collisions when module developers
start expanding.

--Jeff