[development] need a standard for contrib node build_mode constants

Jeff Eaton jeff at viapositiva.net
Thu May 21 19:09:09 UTC 2009

On May 21, 2009, at 11:50 AM, Chris Johnson wrote:

> After all, we wouldn't want developers to have actually document
> anything they write.  ;-)

Well... documentation is needed in either case. But with ints,
collisions are absolutely inevitable. I ran into this with VotingAPI
early on -- I had a const for 'vote_type', and it had 3 values out of
the box. Pretty quickly, two other modules both defined fourth value
types. suddenly, those modules couldn't co-exist with each other.

There's nothing in *my* documentation that could have solved that,
other than a pointer to a wiki page where everyone claimed ints.